Transform orange-colored (and flavored!) cake balls into edible monsters with sweet decorations like melted chocolate, black licorice and jelly beans.
Create the mini vampire bats, spiders and ghosts or experiment with creatures of your own to match your costume.
Creepy crawly cake pops – truffles recipe
- 1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Orange Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Yellow Food Color
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Red Food Color
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- White confectionary coating wafers, such as Wilton White Candy Melts
- Black confectionary coating wafers, such as Wilton Black Candy Melts
- Semi-sweet baking chocolate
- Assorted candies for decorating
Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding orange extract and food colors. Bake as directed on package for 13×9-inch baking pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Crumble cake into large bowl. Add marshmallow creme; mix until well blended. Shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate 2 hours.
Melt coating wafers or chocolate as directed on package. Using a fork, dip 1 cake ball at a time into the confectionary coating or melted chocolate. Tap back of fork 2 or 3 times against edge of dish to allow excess to drip off. Place cake balls on wax paper-lined tray.
Decorate as desired.
Spooky cake pop decorations
Spider: Coat in black coating or melted chocolate. Add black string licorice for legs and red candy-coated pieces for eyes.
Ghosts: Coat in white coating to resemble ghosts. Add cut black jelly beans for eyes and mouth.
Vampire Bats: Coat in black coating or melted chocolate. Use red candy-coated pieces for eyes, white tips of candy corns for fangs and cut up licorice wheels for wings and ears.
- For 1 batch Cake Truffles, you will need about 1 pound confectionery coating wafers or chocolate.
- Confectionery coating, also known as almond bark, is used for candy making and coating. It is packaged in wafer form and is available in a variety of colors and flavors, including milk and dark chocolate. It is found in the cake decorating aisle of craft and party stores.
Serves: Makes 4 dozen or 24 (2 cake pop) servings
See books created by our team in the Myria shop!