Royal icing hardens when dry, making it a favorite for durable decorations and ornamental writing.
Shiny sugar cookie frosting is a slightly thinner frosting that produces a shiny glaze effect.
Buttercream frosting is also a classic topper because it spreads on thickly, so decorations can be added with ease.
No matter which you frosting or icing recipe you choose, add decorations – such as sparkling sugars, candy bits or colorful sprinkles – while the icing is still wet so decorations can set.
Royal icing recipe
4 cups powdered sugar
1/8 cup dried egg whites*
1/3 cup water
- Combine powdered sugar and dried egg whites. Stir in water to achieve a spreadable consistency. Divide into several smaller bowls. Stir in food coloring.
- Brush frosting on each cookie using pastry brush to coat top. Add sparkling sugars and toppings of your choice while still wet. Or pipe onto cookies using a pastry bag or zip-close bag with corner snipped off. Frosting will harden as it dries.
Makes frosting for 3 dozen 2- to 3-inch cookies
*Dried egg whites are available in the baking section of the grocery store.
Shiny sugar cookie frosting recipe
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon almond, lemon or vanilla extract
- Combine powdered sugar and milk in small bowl. Stir until smooth. Stir in corn syrup and extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls. Stir in food coloring. Dip cookies or brush icing onto the tops.
Makes frosting for 3 dozen cookies
Buttercream frosting recipe
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter in medium bowl with electric mixer at high speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat on low until blended.
- Beat on medium until light and fluffy. Add more milk if frosting is too thick. Divide into bowls. Stir in food coloring.
Makes frosting for 2-1/2 dozen cookies
See books created by our team in the Myria shop!