This version of lightened-up mac & cheese has a cheese sauce with Greek yogurt and almond milk, and the macaroni is mixed with veggies for a healthy, filling and tasty dinner!
Lightened-up mac & cheese recipe
Macaroni and cheese ingredients
2 ounces (2/3 cup) whole wheat elbow macaroni
10 ounces Brussels sprouts
1 1/4 cups frozen chopped spinach
1 small container (approximately 5.3 ounces) plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
2 cups (8 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons almond flour
Macaroni and cheese directions
- Cook pasta as directed.
- Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and then cut in half. Lay them cut-side down and finely minced.
- Place Brussels sprouts, spinach and 1/4 cup water in a microwavable-safe bowl. Cover and cook in microwave for 7-8 minutes until Brussels sprouts are soft.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan on the stovetop, make the cheese sauce. Combine Greek yogurt, cheddar, Parmesan, garlic, mustard, almond milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook on low heat, whisking frequently, until cheddar is fully melted.
- Remove Brussels sprouts and spinach from microwave and drain water from mixture, then combine with cheese sauce. Mix together well.
- Pour pasta-vegetable mixture into an oven-safe dish and spread evenly. Top with almond flour and place under broiler in oven for 3-5 minutes until top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutritional info: Calories: 365; Fiber: 6g; Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 50mg; Sat Fat: 9g; Sodium: 653mg; Mono Fat: 4g; Calcium: 721mg; Poly Fat: 1g; Magnesium: 100mg; Protein: 30g; Potassium: 593mg; Carb: 27g; Vitamin E: 4mg*
See books created by our team in the Myria shop!