This hearty main dish combines the sweetness of orange sweet potatoes and the robustness of black beans, with the surprise addition of Swiss chard and a light touch of cumin.
Serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous for a warm delight!
Sweet potato and black bean stew recipe
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 small pepper dried New Mexican chili pepper, whole
1-1/4 cups fresh onions, peeled, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1-1/2 cups fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1/2″
6 cups canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups Fresh Swiss chard, no stems, chopped
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Cook chili pepper and onions for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add cumin and cook for 2 minutes..
3. Add sweet potatoes, black beans, orange juice, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Remove chili pepper and discard.
5. Add vinegar, salt, and pepper.
6. Add Swiss chard. Cover and continue cooking until Swiss chard is tender. Serve hot. May serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous.
Makes 6 servings
About this recipe
Skyline High School is located at the crest of the Oakland Hills in California. The team grew out of an existing afterschool cooking academy that teaches cooking skills and nutrition. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew was created when the team at Skyline High School decided to match an unlikely pair of ingredients. The wonderful recipe combination is as savory as it is sweet. This stew is brought to a healthy and earthy conclusion with flavorful Swiss chard, a delicate and mild-flavored, dark-green leafy vegetable. Served over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous, this stew warms the soul and feeds the mind.
See books created by our team in the Myria shop!