A high-quality reusable bag has the potential to replace over 600 single-use plastic bags over its lifetime, significantly reducing litter while also conserving natural resources.
But they’re not just environmentally-friendly — in many areas where single-use plastic bags are banned, they’re one of the few practical solutions available.
10 BYO reusable bag ideas
- Put “Bring shopping bag” on the top of every grocery list.
- Keep your bags in reach so you’re more likely to see them and bring them into the store.
- Store reusable bags in the car and at work. Many shopping trips are unplanned and unexpected, so you can be prepared by keeping your bags handy and accessible.
- Get reusable bags that have a clip or clip loop, and attach your reusable bags to key chains, belt loops, purse straps, dog leashes, and stroller handles — anything to make sure they’re there when you need them.
- Hang your bags on your doorknob, and you’ll be sure to remember your reusable bag on the way out of the house.
- In the checkout line and forgot your bags? If you have just a few items, “go bagless.” If you have more, just load all of your groceries back into the cart, and bag them once you get to your car. If you completely forgot your bags, you can always load your un-bagged groceries into the car, then grab your bags once you get home.
- After cleaning them out, always be sure to put the bags back in your car.
- Don’t limit your reusable bags to just grocery trips — bring them to the drugstore, the mall, garage sales, and anywhere else you shop.
- Stuck for a gift idea? Give your friends and family reusable bags for presents.
- Always keep your bags clean. Get some tips here: Reusable grocery bags: How to keep ‘em clean while going green.
52 cute and colorful reusable shopping bags
Since you should use multi-use shopping bags — and often have to — it’s a good thing that there are many different types available, including those that come in different colors, patterns, handle styles and materials. Here’s a look at some of our picks!
1-7: Omnisax Anastasia & Envirosax Slingsax
8-9: Insulated bags: wine carrier and a freezable shopping bag
10-12: Comfy reusable bags and ChicoBag Sidekick shopping tote
13-16: BAGGU reusable shopping bags
BAGGU Standard Reusable Shopping Bags – cats, dogs and stripes
17-20: Tapp Collections Trendy sturdy shopping tote bags
Trendy Sturdy Shopping Tote Bags in three patterns
21-26: Sachi Insulated Market Totes
27-30: MY ECO Shopping Bag System
31-32: Envirosax Classic Touch bags
Envirosax shoulder bag – Cherry Lane and red/white houndstooth patterns
33-46: Shopping bag (sets) that cold down to something small
47-49: Omnisax Travel pouch set
Omnisax Travel Pouch Set – New York, Sydney, Paris
50-52: Sesame Street shopping bags
Envirosax Sesame Street Shopper six different designs available, including Big Bird, Grover, Oscar and Elmo