Blueberries for breakfast: Blueberry-orange French toast
Looking for a breakfast that’s tasty but different? This fabulous French toast variation should fit the bill.
Blueberries make it special — and these fruits are not only low fat, but also are a good source of both fiber and vitamin C. A one-cup serving of fresh blueberries gives 5 grams of fiber (more than most fruits and vegetables) at a cost of only 80 calories!
Blueberry-orange French toast recipe
1 tsp grated orange peel
Blueberry french toast
2/3 cup orange juice
3 T sugar, divided
Pinch salt, optional
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed and drained, if frozen)
8 slices (1-1/4 inches thick) Italian bread
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Blueberry Orange Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl beat eggs, peel, juice, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the salt until well blended.
3. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a small bowl combine blueberries and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
4. With the tip of a sharp knife, cut a 1-1/2 inch wide pocket in the side of each bread slice.
5. Fill pockets with reserved blueberry mixture, dividing evenly.
6. Place filled slices in egg mixture. Let stand, turning once, until egg mixture is absorbed, about 5 minutes on each side.
7. Arrange bread on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with almonds.
8. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, turning slices after 10 minutes.
9. Serve with Blueberry orange sauce (recipe below) and fresh blueberries.
3 T sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt, optional
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup orange sections (about 2 oranges)
1. In a cup, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; set aside.
2. In a small saucepan bring orange juice and 1/4 cup water to a boil.
3. Add blueberries and orange sections.
4. Return to a boil; cook until liquid is released from fruit, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in sugar mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes.