These decorative Christmas sugar cookies combine the cozy flavors of butter, sugar and vanilla.
Decorate these cookies using one of these icing and frosting recipes for Christmas cookies.
There are three key points to remember when making decorative cut-out cookies:
- Chill your dough until it is easy to handle before cutting into shapes.
- After baking, move your cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before icing them so your icing doesn’t melt.
- Add decorations – such as sparkling sugars, candy bits or colorful sprinkles – while the icing is still wet so decorations can set.
The holidays are the perfect time to showcase your creative talents with decorative cookies – at the table, on the tree or to accent a dessert buffet. But the best part of all is sharing these delicious cookies with family and friends.
Decorative Christmas sugar cookies recipe
4-1/2 cups White Lily All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting or icing of choice and cookie decorations
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and shortening in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as possible with mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Spoon each half onto plastic wrap. Shape into disks and wrap tightly. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight until dough is easy to handle.
- Heat oven to 375 F. Using one disk at a time, place dough on floured surface and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with floured cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars, if desired.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are slightly golden. Remove immediately to cooling rack. Cool completely. Frost with Royal Icing, Shiny Sugar Cookie Frosting or Butter Cream Frosting, if desired.
Makes about 3 dozen 2-inch to 3-inch cut-out cookies