All the ingredients for chicken pot pie — the chunky chicken and vegetables and the savory broth — are in this chicken pot pie soup. A crisp crouton stands in for the pie crust.
Chicken pot pie soup recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Rosemary Leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Thyme Leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Powder
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 thin bread slices
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Mix rosemary, thyme and garlic powder in small bowl. Reserve 1/2 teaspoon.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and remaining seasoning mixture; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from saucepan. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 3 teaspoons butter in saucepan on medium heat, stirring to release browned bits from bottom of skillet. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until flour is lightly-browned.
Gradually stir in broth until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable mixture, chicken, pearl onions and peas; simmer 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F. Cut bread into rounds with 3-inch cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet. Brush bread with oil and sprinkle with reserved seasoning mixture.
- Bake 10 minutes or until toasted. To serve soup, ladle into soup bowls and top each with 1 crouton.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings