Only a few ingredients are needed for this cocoa flan — a rich chocolate custard dessert.
Cocoa flan recipe
1 cup sugar
1 can (5 oz.) evaporated whole milk*
1/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 325 F. Heat sugar in heavy medium skillet or saucepan over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and golden brown. Pour into bottom of 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
2. Pour evaporated milk into 2-cup glass measuring cup; add water to make 1-1/4 cups. Place cocoa in medium bowl; add enough of the reconstituted milk to form a paste and then gradually blend in the remaining milk.
3. Place chocolate milk mixture, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, vanilla and salt in blender container. Cover; blend until smooth and well blended. Gradually pour over sugar mixture in baking dish. Cover top of baking dish with foil to keep it from browning.
4. Set dish in a larger baking pan. Fill the larger pan with water until it reaches halfway up sides of dish. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until knife comes out almost clean when inserted halfway into center of custard. (Do not pierce bottom.) Remove from water to wire rack. Cool 2 hours. Cover; refrigerate overnight or until thoroughly chilled (about 8 hours).
5. To serve, run a knife or rubber scraper along the outside of the flan. Place serving plate over baking dish; invert onto serving plate. Let stand several minutes for the flan to release and the topping to drip down; remove baking dish. Garnish as desired.