Turn innocent cupcakes into edible night crawlers and scary black spiders with black-tinted frosting, black string licorice and other assorted candies.
Top with black tinted frosting and chocolate sprinkles for the spidery body, and add black licorice to create the eight legs. Red candies for glaring eyes are the finishing touch.
Creepy crawly spider cupcakes recipe
- 1 package (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 container (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- McCormick Black Food Color
- Assorted decorations, such as chocolate sprinkles, black string licorice, red candy-coated pieces and white chocolate chips
Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla.
Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
Tint frosting black with 1/2 teaspoon black food color. Frost cupcakes, mounding frosting in center of cupcake to create a dome shape. Sprinkle cupcakes with chocolate sprinkles. Cut string licorice into 2-inch lengths and use for the spider legs. Attach candy-coated pieces to flat side of chocolate chips with some frosting. Use for the eyes.
Makes 24 (1 cupcake) servings