This show-stopping naked cake (meaning a cake with bare sides) features layers of frosting tinted different colors and flavors.
Check the guide below for even more frosting flavor and color combinations!
Naked cake with colorful frosting recipe
1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
6 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Pure Lemon Extract
McCormick Assorted Food Colors
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Pure Orange Extract
1/4 teaspoon McCormick Coconut Flavor
2 teaspoons pineapple juice
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Pour batter evenly (about 1 1/4 cups each) into 3 (9-inch) round cake pans sprayed with no stick cooking spray.
Bake 25 to 29 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
For the Frostings, beat butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently. Add water; beat until light and fluffy. Divide frosting evenly among 3 bowls.
Tint and flavor each bowl of frosting. For Pink Lemonade Frosting, stir in lemon extract and 7 drops red food color. For Burnt Orange Frosting, stir in orange extract, 36 drops red food color and 30 drops yellow food color. For Piña Colada Frosting, stir in coconut extract, pineapple juice and 30 drops yellow food color.
Place a cake layer on serving platter and spread with Pink Lemonade Frosting. Top with second cake layer and spread with Burnt Orange Frosting. Top with remaining cake layer and spread with Piña Colada Frosting. Do not frost sides.
Decorating tip: Mix and match flavors and colors of frosting as desired, adding flavor extract and food color to each bowl (1/3 batch) of plain prepared frosting or 1 cup canned white frosting.
Try these vibrant frostings
- Vanilla Violet: 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract, 1/2 teaspoon neon purple food color and 10 drops neon blue food color
- Blue Raspberry: 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Raspberry Extract and 1/2 teaspoon neon blue food color
- Citrus Leaf: 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Pure Lemon Extract, 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Pure Orange Extract, 3/4 teaspoon neon green food and 1/2 teaspoon neon blue food color
- Strawberry Shake: 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Strawberry Flavor, 1/4 teaspoon neon pink food color and 2 drops neon purple food color
- Very Berry: 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Strawberry Flavor, 10 drops neon pink food color and 1 drop neon purple food color
- Deep Berry Blue: 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Raspberry Extract, 3/4 teaspoon neon blue food color and 15 drops neon purple food color
- Sweet Turquoise: 1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract, 10 drops blue food color and 3 drops green food color
- Banana Creme: 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Banana Flavor and 3 drops yellow food color
- Orange Creamsicle: 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Pure Orange Extract, 12 drops yellow food color and 4 drops red food color
Note: Cake on the in the top photo (on the right) is spread with Citrus Leaf, Blue Raspberry and Vanilla Violet frostings
For easier measurement, 1/4 teaspoon Food Color = 20 to 25 drops