Baking a pizza at home with the family is a fun way to spend an evening — and it can be healthy, too, when prepared the right way.
Healthy pizza: Start with whole grain crusts
Make your own dough or buy whole wheat or whole grain pizza dough. Personal-size pizzas can also be made with tortillas, English muffins or pita bread.
Go light on the sauce because too much makes a soggy pizza.
- Tomato sauce
- Refried beans
- BBQ sauce
- Alfredo sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Hoisin sauce
- Thai peanut sauce
Choose lean proteins
Proteins should be pre‐cooked, drained and cooled before adding to pizza. Try:
- Grilled chicken
- Lean ground beef or Italian sausage (cooked)
- White or black beans
- Turkey pepperoni, bacon or sausage
- Baby shrimp (cooked)
- Canned tuna or salmon
- Firm tofu cubes
Fruits and vegetables
Drain well and pat dry before adding these toppings. (Add these before the pizza is cooked.)
- Artichoke hearts
- Banana peppers
- Diced or cherry tomatoes
- Grilled eggplant
- Onions (red, white or green)
- Red and green bell peppers
- Shredded carrots
- Sun‐dried tomatoes (diced)
Add these after pizza is cooked:
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped cilantro or basil
- Other fresh herbs
Use cold cheese to prevent cheese from overcooking and possibly burning.
- Cheddar Jack
- Feta cheese
Try these awesome healthy pizza combinations
These combos all meet the US Department of Agriculture MyPlate guidelines.
- Tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni, peppers and mozzarella
- Shredded chicken, Hoisin sauce, cucumbers and green onions
- Tofu, shredded carrots, mushrooms, bean sprouts and Thai peanut sauce
- Sliced apples, cherry tomatoes and cheddar jack cheese
- Spinach, sun‐dried tomatoes, baby shrimp and Feta cheese
- Grilled chicken, pineapple, mozzarella and BBQ sauce
- Pesto sauce, olives, diced tomato, Feta cheese and arugula
>> Recipe: Spinach and herb stuffed pizza
Pizza cooking tips
- Keep the oven HOT. Preheat and cook pizza at 450‐500 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- It may be tempting, but don’t overload on the toppings. It can make the pizza slice soggy or too heavy to pick up.