Ghost Stories and Other Haunting Tales from Yesterday
Think you don’t scare easily? Try taking a creepy detour along the edge of the spirit realm with these tales that have endured for more than a century!
The stories in this book are chilling classics from the Victorian era and the early twentieth century — indeed, the voices of authors from beyond the grave. You’ll unearth shocking and suspenseful short stories of haunted houses and frightful apparitions, terrifying encounters and supernatural obsessions, bizarre coincidences and other sinister scenarios.
These ghost stories and other haunting narratives deliver timeless thrills through a variety of intensely imaginative plots. This ghoulishly delightful collection features 50 spine-tingling tales from the past — including those by literary greats such as Edgar Allan Poe, Edith Wharton, O. Henry, Rudyard Kipling, Guy de Maupassant, Daniel Defoe and Washington Irving.
Fearful fact or fantastic fiction? You decide. But don’t be surprised if these compelling narratives keep you up at night, shivering as you wonder which ones just might be true.
See below for a list of the old-fashioned ghost stories in this book!
Here are the 50 classic ghost stories featured within:
- The Black Cat, by Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)
- From the Tomb, by Guy De Maupassant (1850-1893)
- Afterward, by Edith Wharton (1862-1937)
- Casting the Runes, by M. R. James (1862-1936)
- The Phantom ‘Rickshaw, by Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)
- A Haunted Island, by Algernon Blackwood (1869-1951)
- The Spectre Bride, by William Harrison Ainsworth (1805-1882)
- Mrs. Davenport’s Ghost, by Frederick P. Schrader (1857-1943)
- On the River, by Guy De Maupassant (1850-1893)
- The Haunted and the Haunters, by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)
- From the Loom of the Dead, by Elia Peattie (1862-1935)
- The Room In the Tower, by E. F. Benson (1867-1940)
- Ligeia, by Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)
- A Ghost of a Chance, by O. Henry (1862-1910)
- The Water Ghost of Harrowby Hall, by John Kendrick Bangs (1862 -1922)
- The Mysterious Sketch, by Erckmann-Chatrian (1822-1899)
- The Ghost of the Count, by G. Cunyngham-Cunningham
- The Strange Ride of Morrowbie Jukes, by Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)
- The Apparition of Mrs. Veal, by Daniel Defoe (1660-1731)
- The Old Mansion, Author Unknown
- How He Caught the Ghost, Author Unknown
- The Parlor-Car Ghost, by a Lady
- The Shell of Sense, by Olivia Howard Dunbar (1873-1953)
- An Unbidden Guest, Author Unknown
- The Rival Ghosts, by Brander Matthews (1852-1929)
- The Burglar’s Ghost, by a Constabulary Officer
- The Damned Thing, by Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
- A Fight With a Ghost, by Q. E. D.
- The Empty House, by Algernon Blackwood (1869-1951)
- The Spirit’s Whisper, by J. Sheridan Le Fanu and Charles Young and Others
- The Ghost of Washington, Author Unknown
- Colonel Halifax’s Ghost Story, by S. Baring-Gould, M.A. (1834-1924)
- The Phantom Woman, Author Unknown
- The House That Was Not, by Elia Peattie (1862-1935)
- The Vengeance of a Tree, by Eleanor F. Lewis (1882-1961)
- My Own True Ghost Story, by Rudyard Kipling
- The Flayed Hand, by Guy De Maupassant (1850-1893)
- The Silent Woman, by Leopold Kompert (1822-1886)
- The Dead Woman’s Photograph, Author Unknown
- A Vine On a House, by Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
- The Woman’s Ghost Story, by Algernon Blackwood (1869-1951)
- Canon Alberic’s Scrap-Book, by Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936)
- The Man Who Went Too Far, by E.F. Benson (1867-1940)
- Grand-Dame’s Ghost Story, by C. D.
- The Mezzotint, by M. R. James (1862-1936)
- The Wood of the Dead, by Algernon Blackwood (1869-1951)
- The Interval, by Vincent O’Sullivan
- A Grammatical Ghost, by Elia Peattie (1862-1935)
- The Phantom Hag, Author Unknown
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, by Washington Irving (1783-1859)
Ghost Stories and Other Haunting Tales from Yesterday: With 50 Supernatural Short Stories by Edgar Allan Poe, Edith Wharton, Daniel Defoe, Rudyard Kipling, Washington Irving and Others is available in ebook format only.