A triple hit of antioxidants from the thyme, paprika and crushed red pepper spices up a hearty sausage and lentil soup with lentils, turkey kielbasa and spinach.
Sausage and lentil soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 ounces turkey kielbasa, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Thyme Leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Red Pepper, Crushed
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup red or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 package (5 ounces) baby spinach leaves
- Heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add kielbasa; cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until kielbasa is lightly browned and vegetables are softened.
- Stir in thyme, garlic powder, paprika and red pepper; cook and stir 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach. Simmer until wilted. Ladle into soup bowls to serve.
To store: Cool soup completely. Ladle into freezer-weight containers. Freeze up to 3 months.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings